https://www.hawaiinaturopathicretreat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Sleep.jpg 619 775 Dr. Nicole Baylac N.D. http://www.hawaiinaturopathicretreat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/logo11.png Dr. Nicole Baylac N.D.2013-07-21 17:49:542016-11-16 16:01:25Having Trouble Getting a Good Night’s Sleep?
Natural Tools to Fall Asleep Quickly
- Remove computers, cell phones or other electronic devices from your bedroom
- Unplug electrical appliances
- Create darkness in your room, turning off all lights (if not possible wear a sleeping mask)
- Check ventilation and temperature of the room
- Check number and weight of blankets
- Fluff up pillows and lay them in the right position
- Creating a favorable peaceful relaxing state of mind is the next important condition after a comfortable environment
- Prepare for sleep with meditation, listening to peaceful music or by reading a book
- Create a ritual to welcome darkness, feeling gratefulness for the day and saying goodbye and bring inner peace
- Releasing the past and the future: do a ritual to feel safe. Pledge no attachment to the past and enjoy the mystery of the future.
- Releasing fear: focus on the heart not on the head
- Get in the parasympathetic mode, nurturing the belly brain: feel your belly, breathe into your belly
- Pray for a deep rest
Natural Tools to Avoid Waking Up
- Stop drinking fluids and food around 5 or 6 o’clock PM / 4 hours before bedtime
- Eat a light dinner
- Get your bed made properly
- Avoid synthetic material. Use cotton sheets
- Wear non-constrictive clothing or no clothing
- Prior to going to bed have a picture in your mind of a full night sleep
Tools to Get Back to Sleep Quickly
- Go to the bathroom
- Read a book until you feel sleepy again
- Take a hot shower
- Get into a nurturing position in your bed
- Drink a glass of water
Tips to Have Restful Sleep
- Go to bed early, 9 PM is best or 10 PM at the latest. We are meant to go to sleep with darkness (when the sun has set and it is completely dark) and wake up with light (when the sun begins to rise).
- Have an early dinner, 5:30 PM or 6:00 PM.
- Do not drink liquids past 6 PM
- Do not drink alcohol or drink moderately. Do not smoke. Avoid pharmaceutical drugs with a side effect of insomnia.
- Exercise, in particular take a walk in the afternoon before sunset.
- Surrender to the power of the night and its magic
- Let go of control and offer yourself to god, life, karma or nature.
- Surrender to yourself and this beautiful moment.
- Think rest, going back to the source, letting go of the mundane world, merging with your true self and true reality. When you wake up in the morning think: the dream begins.
If you think you are suffering from insomnia, read our full article on this condition HERE.